Interior Design- post recap & important principals

My last post was just an overview of what my company is about and how we approach a project. I can definitely specify all the details and steps that a project involves, yet each project is so unique except some approaches (such as the ones I noted) which stay the same on every project and they are part of my principals.
It is important to share with others what you do and what you offer. If you can’t share what you do, no one else will be able to define it either. Also, people might have an idea about your profession yet they are clearly not doing what you do and therefore they may not have an idea of what your position involves.

I once had an old instructor mention to me that -"even though your friends and family know that you are an interior designer or an architect, there is a big chance that they don’t really know what you do exactly". I thought that was quite interesting and tested it out on my parents. Sure enough they knew the broad idea of a design project (since we redesigned few rooms in their home) yet when I explained more in detail what each project consists of, they were pretty surprised and captivated by the whole process.

Although I have designed parts of my parent’s house they don’t really know all the details and steps that I have to go through to create a room. Of course since they are my parents the working relationship is a bit different than it is with a client. Some things I have just done and I don’t necessarily discuss or spell out still take place to complete a fabulous room.

For instance, with my parents I don’t necessarily spent hours explaining that I spent few hours in three design showrooms looking for that perfect fabric that elevated the whole design to another level, gave the room dimension and balance while pulling the accent tones in the other fabrics and perfectly contrasted the rug. Then I had to get the prices and compared 10 other fabrics to chose one that best fit their budget the scope, and that the fabric content was appropriate for it's use. Then I had to have it backed and each one of these steps had a phone call attached to it with work orders, price quotes and drafting of the orders in addition to follow up and coordination with the workrooms or manufacturers.
The fact is, that although I would show them the fabric the paint the arm of the sofa they did not really ask about what goes behind the scenes, I just did it.

When working with a client of course these things are specified and further discussed yet the client and I don't sit there and talk about every little detail that goes behind the scenes either - that is why they hired me after all.
Besides what we do, it's also important to share your process, your ideals. In my case a relationship between a client and an interior designer is very personal and it's important for us to be able to communicate well and feel in sync on many levels.Obviously the client does not need to be exactly like me (otherwise they could do the work themselves) but at least be able to feel comfortable, be trusting and confident in letting go since that is why they called the expert.

A relationship between a client and a designer takes many forms (besides on how much the client wants to be involved) yet it's always important (no matter the industry and on both parts on the client and the service provider's side) to be honest, trustworthy and communicate clearly. Weather the honesty comes from the client for example: in regards to a budget or the clarity on the designers side regarding the fabric that suddenly is not to arrive for another 3 weeks- these are extremely important and if expressed with trust, honesty and clear communication will create a backdrop for a solid good working relationship.
 I always make sure to be clear and honest in everything that I do and I believe it is essential to all relationships. At the end if you take everything away and you don't have these principals, the relationship will not last, it's a foundation will fail.
I hope you can incorporate these in your working relationship, I believe they will work wonders for you if they haven't already. :) I wish you all , good business, good fortune and good life.

A glimpse of a project that I worked on a while back.
Pardon the construction mess:
Here is a Kitchen that I worked on about five years ago, the photo shows it in the mids of construction state. It was a beautiful gray stone 3 story house in the Gold Coast of Chicago that was completely gut and tranformed , yet the architectural elements, the traditional flair and integrity of the building was kept throughout the house. The kitchen was definitely one of the modern spaces.
Also the Natural Rift Sawn Oak veneer panels on the subzero is also reflected on the opposite wall on the build in shelves.(unfortunately you can't see it in the photos)

In front of the oven and behind the island there was a glass floor that let in light to the newly build wine room in the besement. It is pretty neat!

  Looking in from the dining room thorugh the pantry into the kitchen where you can see the glass panels in the floor.

Again, be mindful these photos were taken while still finishing up the construction, the place was messy and everyone was a bit displaced.